Sylvan Testimonials

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Silver Apple Award

A perk of working for Sylvan is that I have the privilege of being on the Silver Apple judging committee. As a judge, I get to read all of the nomination essays from students as to why their teacher is deserving of this prestigious award. Early this fall, a nomination came in that the judges unanimously felt was deserving of the award. Sadly, however, the teacher passed away days before we were able to present the award to her in person.

On Friday, I also had the honor to attend a pep assembly at which we presented the award posthumously to her husband and daughter. It was unbelievably touching to see the kids give this teacher a standing ovation and hear from her husband how much her fellow teachers and nominating student meant to her.

All I can say is WOW! What dedication! Here is the nomination:
"In the last quarter of school in the year 07-08 Mrs. Matthews was suffering from cancer. Thought it must have been painful, she stayed strong and kept teaching. She is a great teacher. Her lessons were phenomenal. Mrs. Rebecca Matthews is a great, inspirational person. Even when she was in pain she kept smiling, telling us she was okay."
Being able to be there when the award was presented was inspirational to me. I was able to see how many lives this woman touched doing something she loved!

I will post the air date of the Silver Apple when I know it! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment